Sunday, November 16, 2014

Book Review: Lost In Us by Layla Hagen


Lost in US
by Layla Hagen
Genre: New Adult  Contemporary Romance

Serena has learned to live with her past, locking her secrets and nightmares deep inside her. But when her boyfriend of six years abruptly leaves her, she’s catapulted back into pain, nursing a broken heart. When indulging in mountains of chocolate doesn’t work, Serena decides the best way to deal with her shattered heart is to indulge in something else. A rebound . . .

The night she swaps her usual Sprite for tequila, she meets James. The encounter is breathtaking.
Electrifying.
And best not repeated.

James is a successful entrepreneur in Silicon Valley. A man who has amassed a fortune by taking risks. A man who has shunned commitment completely, and still does. He’s the exact opposite of Serena. But sometimes opposites attract. Sometimes they give in to burning passion. Sometimes opposites are perfect for each other.

James is everything her damaged soul could want. His kisses are intoxicating, his touch out of this world. He makes her forget. He grants her peace from her pain. But as they grow closer, Serena discovers she isn’t the only one with a past. James carries the scars of a past much darker than hers. One that has left him damaged, hurt, and wary of love. A past that gives him the power to shatter her.

Now James and Serena must find a way to mend one another. Or risk losing each other forever.
 


My Rating:

4.5


Favorite Quotes:

 “I never believed Jess when she said that sometimes it’s worth being a bitch just because.  Now I do.  But I disagree with the last part.  It’s not just because.  Some people simply deserve it.” 

“I wish there was a way I could let him know how alive he makes me feel.  How he turns the blood in my veins to liquid fire.  How it burns so bright I am afraid it will turn me to ashes any second now.”

My Review:



I should be ashamed to say that this is my first Layla Hagen read – shocking - I know!  I have really been behind the eight-ball and have truly been missing out.  Ms. Hagen’s writing is emotional and compelling.  While I am not a fan of angst, the way she writes - I didn’t mind it so much.  I wish I had been paying better attention and read first read the novella Lost, first, which I highly recommend doing.  I appreciated the characters much more after reading the novella.  Smokin’ hot, smartly written, moving, and entertaining.  I am now a convert to her cult and hope to make my way through her entire list… and will probably be stalking her on Goodreads. 

Empress DJ 



No comments:

Post a Comment