Saturday, June 21, 2014

Book Tour, Review: Bare Essentials by M.L. Stephens


Bare Essentials 
by M.L. Stephens
Tour Organizer: N K Author Services



He's a cowboy with a guitar and an attitude. She's Nashville's toughest, most sought after music agent. They have one thing in common, country music.

Cutter Harrison relies on two things: beer and music- his music. At twenty-six, he's happily divorced and plans to keep it that way. 

Holly Avery is on the hunt. She's determined to discover the next country music star and is willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen. 

An unexpected meeting in Arkansas makes them question their pasts, their futures and the bare essentials of Love. Music brought them together, but will dirty secrets keep them apart?




Meet M.L.
Image of M. L. Stephens

I write the characters and stories that scream the loudest.
I have an unshakable fetish for a good mystery and anything paranormal, along with an insatiable appetite for coffee and travel. When I'm not reading the novels of so many great authors, I'm creating stories of my own. My family keeps me grounded, my pets keep me jumping, my friends keep me focused, and it all happens in Texas!


My Rating:

Favorite Quotes:

“Not every road leads to where you want to go, but sometimes… just sometimes… the greatest joys lie at the end of an old dirt road.”

“Happiness wouldn’t smack you across the head with a frying pan and scream until you noticed.  No, you had to grab it by the horns and ride it for all it was worth because tomorrow it could end.”

“That woman keeps more secrets than a city priest.”

“What he needed was a mind enema, a cleansing, because his mental pipes were backed the hell up and his lust meter was on the verge of overflow.”

“Love and life in a small town weren’t as easy as some thought.  Cowboys didn’t always get the girl and no one ever rode off into the sunset.  That was an illusion sold to the masses by people who’d never stepped foot beyond their concrete villages and drive-through coffee shops.” 


“Becky ruled the island of Bitch-Assedness and he secretly wished someone would nuke her and her freaking island.”

My Review:


Despite the fact that this is a rather somber and melancholy story most of the way through - which is not my typical read… and for the fact it is about country and western music - which is not something I would ever willingly sit and listen to… I am pleasantly surprised that say I enjoyed this novel from start to finish.    The characters seemed to be real flesh and blood, the events could have happened, this could be someone’s actual story.  It could not be more unlike the pure fantasy tales of the young women who meet handsome billionaires, who instantly fall in love with them, and give them multiple orgasms every day for the rest of their lives.  Thankfully no.  It is a slowly evolving story that results in redemption and hopefully a HEA for both lead characters.  While they often thought about sex, there were not many sex scenes in the book, but the few that were written - were smokin’ hot.   I look forward to seeing more from this talented author, but I am hoping there is a happier tone to her next work.  
Empress DJ



No comments:

Post a Comment