Friday, July 5, 2013

Dairy Queen - Catherine Gilbert Murdock Review


Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1)

Book Series: Dairy Queen
Book: Dairy Queen
Author: Catherine Gilbert Murdock
Genre: Young Adult, Sports and Games, Romance, Humor, Coming of Age


Book Synopsis:

When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said. Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D.J. can't help admitting, maybe he's right. When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said. Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn't so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth. Why her mom has two jobs and a big secret. Why her college-football-star brothers won't even call home. Why her dad would go ballistic if she tried out for the high school football team herself. And why Brian is so, so out of her league. When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said. Welcome to the summer that fifteen-year-old D.J. Schwenk of Red Bend, Wisconsin, learns to talk, and ends up having an awful lot of stuff to say.


Book Review: 


This book was different from what I thought it would be. I thought the characters wouldn't be all everyone said they would be but boy was I was wrong! This book was a great read, I couldn't put it down for the life of me until I finished it. The characters were enjoyable, changing from boring to characters you know you will fall in love with no matter how stupid they acted sometimes. The plot had twists, not a lot of them but when they did have them they blew me away. This book was just great. I feel like there could have been more in terms of character development but it was great none the less


Favorite Quotes: 

"Now, Mrs. Stolze is a very nice lady and a great teacher, but she knows about as much about football as the heifers do. Less, probably, because at least they've been watching me and Brian. It's a huge joke all her classes have with her, how much she doesn't know. 'Now what position are you playing' she asked all nicely. I had to cough so I wouldn't laugh, because I could have something like Exterior Flame-Thrower and she would have believed me."

“When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.”


All In All: 

This was a very refreshing coming of age story. The humor tickled me pink (yeah I don't even know I said that). It was nice to take some time away from the typical coming of age stories with prom and falling for the wrong guy, or worrying about money and social status. Status doesn't matter if you just do what you're supposed to, and breaking free doesn't make you any lower on the totem pole than anyone else. I truly enojoyed this book for that it is worth and I am sure many others will as well. So what are you waiting for, the apocalypse. Go and get the book, sit down and have an enlightening comical read on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment